Monday, February 15, 2010

Snow Cream a la Doll

The greatest thing about the rare snow day in our house growing up (Catholics never call off school) was the Snow Cream from our grandmothers. I never learned to make it -- the primary thing I remember was that we were always required to wait several big snows into the season (the mythos being that the first few snows were dirty, but the later ones were more eco-friendly, less toxic).
Lucky for me, I have a Chef Baby Brother, and Chef Baby Brother has a food blog, and his memory for such things is much better than mine. Here is his recipe for Grandma Doll's Snow Cream. I feel far enough into SnOMGeddinIt now to risk it (which should in no way constitute any representations of safety, implied or otherwise, and the reader hereby holds harmless the writer from any liability resulting from any .... well, you get the idea).

 In His Words: 

The ingredients are simple. So simple any kid can make it. Good milk, sugar, vanilla and a giant bowl of freshly fallen snow are all you really need. Unless you're Grandma Doll. She made a stovetop custard for her snow cream and incorporated chocolate into it for a sort of rural Neiman Marcus-esque luxury version. I've been plumbing the cobwebs out of my dad's recollections recently and have now assembled a recipe for snow cream Grandma Doll style. While it's not truly her recipe, since we have the same blood I reckon it'll serve just fine.
Ingredients
  • 1 Cup Sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 2 Cups cream
  • 1 t. Vanilla
  • 3 T. Cocoa powder
  • A giant tub of snow
Method:
  • Beat Eggs
  • Add Sugar
  • Mix well
  • Add cream,vanilla and chocolate
  • Bring to boil in saucepan
  • Cool it down
  • Fold in snow
You may want to let it set-up in the freezer a bit but I never had the patience. I'd just eat it the way the mountain folks did. As fast as I could get it in my mouth. Bon Appetit."----

Yep.
This is how we do it.

4 comments:

  1. Whaa? Brother Russ has a blog? Yay!

    I don't have all the ingredients for Snow Cream ala Doll, but yummers!This post is a festive little window of fun on a crazy snowy day...thankee <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. he sure does and you should be able to click right over to it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I have a feeling snow cream will become a new tradition at our house. I could not believe how rich and chocolatey it was!! I also love the idea of bringing these old recipes out of hiding. Really, this is not just a recipe but the makings of a really fun snow day experience; it also changed our negative, snow-bound feelings to positive and happy ones last night. Snow as an ingredient - perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandma Doll would be THRILLED. All she ever wanted was a houseful of children and grandchildren to feed -- but it feels like the Virtual counts too.

    ReplyDelete